Friday, May 2, 2008

Bubble

It's 5:30am in the morning, I haven't done my math homework yet, and I don't have class til 3pm later today so I have the leisure of being a night owl.


I'm almost graduating and I've been thinking. Thinking about a lot of things. Berkeley is a bubble, to say the least. Everyone you will meet here, for the most part, is very intelligent. The average kid more likely than not was probably his class valedictorian, in fact I think more people I've met than not were. They probably did sports, did well in school, and did extra everything on the side. That's just how it is. But when that's the average joe, you get used to it, and you realize that you're not so special kiddo. You're just like everybody else here. Your once gigantic ego deflates, and you realize you're nothing special in this pond. You get used to it.

When you leave this wonderful little bubble and start talking to people who don't live in your happy land of pretentious, workaholic, egotistical oddly perfectionist people everyone you meet thinks you're a genius. And you think, thanks kiddo I'm really not, I'm just like everybody else.

Now I'm going to graduate, and I realize I'm leaving this happy little bubble of mine, where everyone is insanely distinguished and most of my professors are genuises who have won some prestigious prize or two in their lifetime.

No I'm not trying to brag that I went to some great school yadda yadda ya. Because being good at academics means you're loosing out somewhere else, sometimes it's something essential, like social awareness, or not being socially inept, or something that most people learn, but these kids really haven't or something is just not working up there, something has got to be missing. That's just the way it is. It comes with the territory.

And before you tear me apart for my broad overarching stereotypes that probably don't apply to everyone just listen.

When all is said and done at the end of the day, after every employer you've ever met is impressed because you were smart enough to get into some school, and expects you to be a complete and utter genius.

You begin to wonder, and you've long forgotten, what is it like out there in the real world?

It's then that everything hits you square in the face.

You've been living in a huge bubble for the past 4 years of your life. Not only that, the real world is about having more on your shoulders than just a big brain. You won't get that far if you're just relying on that.

And suddenly the world becomes a very scary place.

You might be a pirhana but that doesn't mean you won't get eaten.

No comments: